Download our Brochure
A secular, Mumbai - based non - profit organisation, SNEHA believes that investing
in women's health is essential to building viable urban communities. SNEHA targets
four large public health areas - Maternal and Newborn Health, Child Health and Nutrition,
Sexual and Reproductive Health and Prevention of Violence against Women and Children.
Its approach is two pronged : It recognises that in order to improve
urban health standards, its initiatives must target both care seekers and care providers.
It works at the community level to empower women and slum communities to be catalysts
of change in their own right and collaborate with existing public health systems
and health care providers to create sustainable improvements in urban health.
The Maternal And Newborn Health (MNH) Program
- Maternal and Newborn Health is a program designed to influence the government to
provide better services for mothers and babies in slum communities. This program
also works with women in the community to ensure they access health care.
- It partners with the public health system to strengthen primary health care and
to establish a city wide referral system for pregnant mothers across health posts,
maternity homes, small and large hospitals, in order to ensure survival of both
mother and baby.
Prevention Of Violence Against Women And Children (PVWC) Program
- Prevention of Violence against Women and Children aims to provide services through
crisis intervention and counselling to women and children facing violence in their
immediate environment. This program also works with those who face problems due
to their sexual orientation, their disability and their occupation.
- The Program achieves this by working with slum communities forming empowered women's
groups. We also collaborate and network with the police and the legal system to
prevent, report and address violence
The Child Health And Nutrition (CHN) Program
- The Program aims to reduce malnutrition in children in Mumbai's slums. This model
follows the cycle of prevention, early identification and treatment by improving
feeding practices of young children amongst mothers and establishing Day Care Centres
where severely malnourished children are treated.
- It partners with the existing Govt Integrated Child Development Scheme (ICDS) that
runs Anganwadis which addresses malnutrition in children under 6 years.
The Sexual And Reproductive Health (SRH) Program
- The Sexual and Reproductive Health program aims to empower adolescent girls and
married women in urban slums with the right information and skills that enable them
to make informed decisions about their health and in particular their sexual and
reproductive health and their family size.
- The Adolescents Gaining Ground project works to orient adolescents to become self
- confident, well - informed and responsible decision makers of their general health
especially their sexual and reproductive health and to create advocates in the community.
- The Family Planning Program works with married women to help reduce unplanned pregnancies
and also works to increase the uptake of modern methods of contraception. This is
done through peer educators in the community.
SNEHA Centres - M / East Ward
- SNEHA Centre is an integrated model of all the four programs, i.e. MNH, PVWC, SRH,
and CHN to address the health of family especially women and children in vulnerable
slum communities in Mumbai starting with the M / East ward of Mumbai city.
- It networks with NGOs and liaises with service providers such as Municipal Corporation
of Greater Mumbai, Mumbai Police, and Integrated Child Development Scheme.
- SNEHA Centre functions at the community level through group meetings with various
target groups, events and campaigns, and at individual level through home visits.
Livelihood Program - Quintessentially Yours
- The project aims to teach women from the adjoining slums a variety of skills and
also provide them with gainful employment.
- It involves educating the women in the basics of stitching and use of sewing machines.
- The flagship products are silk and cotton patchwork quilts and we have further expanded
into bags, table linen, cushion covers, curtains so that the wastage is minimized
and use of fabric optimized. The products are sold from the site as well as through
sales at corporate houses.
At SNEHA, we have a dream
A dream that every mother delivers safely
That every child is born healthy
That every child has the opportunity to thrive
That no woman tolerates abuse in silence
That every girl has the right to a future of her own choosing
And that every individual, irrespective of social status, has access to quality
SNEHA believes Every Woman and Child Counts.
in Sanskrit it means "Love"
it stands for Society for Nutrition, Education and Health Action
A voluntary, secular, non - profit organization, SNEHA addresses the special needs
of slum women and children in Mumbai by working to improve their health